Friday, April 9, 2010

Visayas: My First Food Escape Part 1

Last year, I braved Bohol (Chocolate Hills, Loboc, Tagbilaran, Panglao) and Cebu (Cebu City and Malapascua Island) alone. I had so much fun that I decide to do it again. And so I did! Last month, I conquered Visayas alone again (naturally), but this time, I made sure that I will be tasting the town's specialty without going over my budget. The result: Probably a lifetime craving for Inasal (Chicken barbeque) and La Paz Batchoy (egg noodles in a savory broth topped with pork rinds, garlic and onion spring).



First stop: Kalibo, Aklan
I was very disappointed with Kalibo since there's not much going on here to satisfy your craving. Had I not seen a kamayan (eating with bare hands) restaurant while the tricycle driver was trying to figure out where to take me, I would have easily settled with Mang Inasal. The grilled liempo was okay, and I can't even remember the name of the restaurant. The only thing memorable about it was the TV was tuned into Channel 2 (as I would later on find out, the Visayans are truly Kapamilyas much to my delight).

Second stop: Iloilo - Jaro, City Proper, Miag-ao
I took the 3AM bus from Kalibo to Iloilo city to catch the 8AM mass at Jaro City Church. The ride was 4 hours long passing through the rest of Aklan, Capiz and a few towns in Iloilo. I didn't eat during stopovers so as not to spoil my appetite (there wasn't really any option to eat, it was still dawn!)

My first pagkain in Iloilo: Mini bibingkas!
  

There are makeshift stalls for these mini bibingkas in front of churches in Jaro and Molo and they sell for 20 pesos/5 pcs. I may be wrong (and I forgot to ask), but I think it is made of grilled rice for the bibingka base and shredded coconuts (this I am sure of) baked in a make-shift oven.

After the Mass, I dropped by the Original Biscocho Haus to buy some pasalubongs but I didn't really like anything so I just moved on to the main event: The La Paz Batchoy!


More of that in my next entry, for the meantime,whet your appetite with this Ted's Old-Timer La Paz Batchoy with Puto:


Watch out for Part 2! Twit This! Share

1 comment:

  1. Hi sis! LC Claire here. You should have gone all the way to my province in Negros Occidental, where the food palate shifts to the sweet side. Good luck on your travels! I'm also on an ongoing sojourn as I hope to travel the world. :-)

    ReplyDelete